Schedule and dispatch workers, work crews, equipment, or service vehicles for conveyance of materials, freight, or passengers, or for normal installation, service, or emergency repairs rendered outside the place of business. Duties may include using radio, telephone, or computer to transmit assignments and compiling statistics and reports on work progress.
- Order supplies or equipment and issue them to personnel.
- Ensure timely and efficient movement of trains, according to train orders and schedules.
- Arrange for necessary repairs to restore service and schedules.
- Advise personnel about traffic problems, such as construction areas, accidents, congestion, weather conditions, or other hazards.
- Determine types or amounts of equipment, vehicles, materials, or personnel required, according to work orders or specifications.
- Receive or prepare work orders.
- Record and maintain files or records of customer requests, work or services performed, charges, expenses, inventory, or other dispatch information.
- Prepare daily work and run schedules.
- Confer with customers or supervising personnel to address questions, problems, or requests for service or equipment.
- Relay work orders, messages, or information to or from work crews, supervisors, or field inspectors, using telephones or two-way radios.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $42,420 with most people making between $24,000 and $66,970
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 24,000 people in California. It is projected that there will be 27,800 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 380 openings due to growth and about 590 replacement openings for approximately 970 total annual openings.
- Insurance Adjusters, Examiners, and Investigators
- Insurance Appraisers, Auto Damage
- Tax Examiners and Collectors, and Revenue Agents
- Billing, Cost, and Rate Clerks
- Brokerage Clerks
- New Accounts Clerks
- Human Resources Assistants, Except Payroll and Timekeeping
- Cargo and Freight Agents
- Production, Planning, and Expediting Clerks
- Executive Secretaries and Executive Administrative Assistants