Format typescript and graphic elements using computer software to produce publication-ready material.
- Create special effects such as vignettes, mosaics, and image combining, and add elements such as sound and animation to electronic publications.
- Store copies of publications on paper, magnetic tape, film or diskette.
- Load floppy disks or tapes containing information into system.
- Enter data, such as coordinates of images and color specifications, into system to retouch and make color corrections.
- Enter text into computer keyboard and select the size and style of type, column width, and appropriate spacing for printed materials.
- Edit graphics and photos, using pixel or bitmap editing, airbrushing, masking, or image retouching.
- Prepare sample layouts for approval, using computer software.
- Select number of colors and determine color separations.
- Collaborate with graphic artists, editors and writers to produce master copies according to design specifications.
- Import text and art elements, such as electronic clip art or electronic files from photographs that have been scanned or produced with a digital camera, using computer software.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Support and Recognition in their jobs.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $49,430 with most people making between $28,420 and $74,160
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,700 people in California. It is projected that there will be 1,400 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 50 replacement openings for approximately 50 total annual openings.