Directly supervise and coordinate activities of animal husbandry or animal care workers.
- Wool Shearing Supervisor
- Stock Ranch Supervisor
- Stock Raiser
- Sow Manager
- Sow Farm Manager
- Shelter Supervisor
- Shelter Monitor
- Research Kennel Supervisor
- Research Dairy Farm Supervisor
- Research Animal Facility Supervisor
- Monitor eggs and adjust incubator thermometers and gauges to facilitate hatching progress and to maintain specified conditions.
- Plan budgets and arrange for purchase of animals, feed, or supplies.
- Operate euthanasia equipment to destroy animals.
- Inseminate livestock artificially to produce desired offspring.
- Study feed, weight, health, genetic, or milk production records to determine feed formulas and rations and breeding schedules.
- Recruit, hire, and pay workers.
- Investigate complaints of animal neglect or cruelty, and follow up on complaints appearing to require prosecution.
- Confer with managers to determine production requirements, conditions of equipment and supplies, and work schedules.
- Direct and assist workers in maintenance and repair of facilities.
- Prepare reports concerning facility activities, employees' time records, and animal treatment.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Relationships in their jobs.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $44,260 with most people making between $24,920 and $72,790
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 10,400 people in California. It is projected that there will be 11,300 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 90 openings due to growth and about 260 replacement openings for approximately 350 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Nursery and Greenhouse Managers
- Aquacultural Managers
- Forest and Conservation Technicians
- First-Line Supervisors of Logging Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Aquacultural Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Production and Operating Workers
- Aircraft Cargo Handling Supervisors
- First-Line Supervisors of Helpers, Laborers, and Material Movers, Hand
- First-Line Supervisors of Transportation and Material-Moving Machine and Vehicle Operators
- Ship and Boat Captains