Manually plant, cultivate, and harvest vegetables, fruits, nuts and field crops. Use hand tools, such as shovels, trowels, hoes, tampers, pruning hooks, shears, and knives. Duties may include tilling soil and applying fertilizers; transplanting, weeding, thinning, or pruning crops; applying pesticides; cleaning, packing, and loading harvested products. May construct trellises, repair fences and farm buildings, or participate in irrigation activities.
- Fruit Thinner
- Fruit Picker
- Fruit Packer
- Fruit or Nut Farmworker
- Fruit or Nut Farmer
- Fruit Loader
- Fruit Harvester
- Fruit Harvest Worker
- Fruit Farmworker
- Fruit Cutter
- Load agricultural products into trucks, and drive trucks to market or storage facilities.
- Participate in the inspection, grading, sorting, storage, and post-harvest treatment of crops.
- Repair farm buildings, fences, and other structures.
- Dig and plant seeds, or transplant seedlings by hand.
- Record information about crops, such as pesticide use, yields, or costs.
- Clear and maintain irrigation ditches.
- Direct and monitor the work of casual and seasonal help during planting and harvesting.
- Identify plants, pests, and weeds to determine the selection and application of pesticides and fertilizers.
- Inform farmers or farm managers of crop progress.
- Apply pesticides, herbicides or fertilizers to crops.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: I.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $23,630 with most people making between $20,810 and $29,050
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 269,200 people in California. It is projected that there will be 302,600 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 3,340 openings due to growth and about 7,170 replacement openings for approximately 10,510 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Nursery Workers
- Farmworkers, Farm, Ranch, and Aquacultural Animals
- Insulation Workers, Floor, Ceiling, and Wall
- Roustabouts, Oil and Gas
- Meat, Poultry, and Fish Cutters and Trimmers
- Pourers and Casters, Metal
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Helpers--Production Workers
- Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand