Perform tasks involving physical labor at construction sites. May operate hand and power tools of all types: air hammers, earth tampers, cement mixers, small mechanical hoists, surveying and measuring equipment, and a variety of other equipment and instruments. May clean and prepare sites, dig trenches, set braces to support the sides of excavations, erect scaffolding, and clean up rubble, debris and other waste materials. May assist other craft workers.
- Apply weather-stripping to reduce energy loss.
- Use computers or other input devices to control robotic pipe cutters or cleaners.
- Transport or set explosives for tunnel, shaft, or road construction.
- Perform construction laborer duties at green building sites, such as renewable energy plants or wind turbine installations.
- Perform building weatherization tasks, such as repairing windows, adding insulation, or applying weather-stripping materials.
- Place, consolidate, or protect case-in-place concrete or masonry structures.
- Raze buildings or salvage useful materials.
- Identify, pack, or transport hazardous or radioactive materials.
- Perform site activities required of green certified construction practices, such as implementing waste management procedures, identifying materials for reuse, or installing erosion or sedimentation control mechanisms.
- Mop, brush, or spread paints, cleaning solutions, or other compounds over surfaces to clean them or to provide protection.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: I.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $44,220 with most people making between $25,290 and $70,150
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 114,800 people in California. It is projected that there will be 145,000 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 3,020 openings due to growth and about 2,290 replacement openings for approximately 5,310 total annual openings.
- Carpet Installers
- Cement Masons and Concrete Finishers
- Paving, Surfacing, and Tamping Equipment Operators
- Helpers--Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons, and Tile and Marble Setters
- Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders
- Cleaning, Washing, and Metal Pickling Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Machine Feeders and Offbearers
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators
- Refuse and Recyclable Material Collectors