Apply insulating materials to pipes or ductwork, or other mechanical systems in order to help control and maintain temperature.
- Sheet Metal Insulator
- Scaffold Builder
- Refrigeration Insulator
- Pipe Insulator
- Pipe Coverer and Insulator
- Pipe Coverer
- Mechanical Insulator
- Mechanic Insulator
- Marine Insulator
- Fill blower hoppers with insulating materials.
- Move controls, buttons, or levers to start blowers, and to regulate flow of materials through nozzles.
- Distribute insulating materials evenly into small spaces within floors, ceilings, or walls, using blowers and hose attachments or cement mortar.
- Remove or seal off old asbestos insulation, following safety procedures.
- Prepare surfaces for insulation application by brushing or spreading on adhesives, cement, or asphalt, or by attaching metal pins to surfaces.
- Cover, seal, or finish insulated surfaces or access holes with plastic covers, canvas strips, sealants, tape, cement, or asphalt mastic.
- Read blueprints and specifications to determine job requirements.
- Select appropriate insulation, such as fiberglass, Styrofoam, or cork, based on the heat retaining or excluding characteristics of the material.
- Apply, remove, and repair insulation on industrial equipment, pipes, ductwork, or other mechanical systems such as heat exchangers, tanks, and vessels, to help control noise and maintain temperatures.
- Install sheet metal around insulated pipes with screws to protect the insulation from weather conditions or physical damage.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $51,360 with most people making between $28,800 and $81,960
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,300 people in California. It is projected that there will be 1,900 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 60 openings due to growth and about 40 replacement openings for approximately 100 total annual openings.
- Drywall and Ceiling Tile Installers
- Elevator Installers and Repairers
- Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Powerhouse, Substation, and Relay
- Heating and Air Conditioning Mechanics and Installers
- Industrial Machinery Mechanics
- Maintenance Workers, Machinery
- Maintenance and Repair Workers, General
- Drilling and Boring Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Furnace, Kiln, Oven, Drier, and Kettle Operators and Tenders