Diagnose, adjust, repair, or overhaul buses and trucks, or maintain and repair any type of diesel engines. Includes mechanics working primarily with automobile or marine diesel engines.
- Vehicle Mechanic
- Truck, Railroad, and Bus Tune Up Mechanic
- Truck, Railroad, and Bus Transmission Mechanic
- Truck, Railroad, and Bus Motor Mechanic
- Truck, Railroad, and Bus Engine Mechanic
- Truck Trailer Mechanic
- Truck Mechanic Apprentice
- Truck Mechanic
- Truck Bench Mechanic
- Transportation Mechanic
- Operate valve-grinding machines to grind and reset valves.
- Maintain or repair vehicles with alternative fuel systems, including biodiesel, hybrid, or compressed natural gas vehicles.
- Measure vehicle emissions to determine whether they are within acceptable limits.
- Adjust or repair computer controlled exhaust emissions devices.
- Follow green operational practices involving conservation of water or energy or reduction of solid waste.
- Repair or adjust seats, doors, or windows.
- Diagnose and repair vehicle heating and cooling systems.
- Disassemble and overhaul internal combustion engines, pumps, generators, transmissions, clutches, and differential units.
- Install or repair accessories.
- Inspect, repair, and maintain automotive and mechanical equipment and machinery such as pumps and compressors.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Achievement in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2017, the average annual wage in California was $55,050 with most people making between $33,330 and $79,410
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 22,100 people in California. It is projected that there will be 26,800 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 470 openings due to growth and about 380 replacement openings for approximately 850 total annual openings.
- Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters
- Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Farm Equipment Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanics, Except Engines
- Motorboat Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Mechanical Door Repairers
- Signal and Track Switch Repairers
- Aircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, and Systems Assemblers