Repair and service bicycles.
- Weld broken or cracked frames together, using oxyacetylene torches and welding rods.
- Repair holes in tire tubes, using scrapers and patches.
- Paint bicycle frames, using spray guns or brushes.
- Shape replacement parts, using bench grinders.
- Build wheels by cutting and threading new spokes.
- Disassemble axles to repair, adjust, and replace defective parts, using hand tools.
- Order bicycle parts.
- Clean and lubricate bicycle parts.
- Install and adjust speed and gear mechanisms.
- Install new tires and tubes.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Support in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Equipment Selection - Determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in California was $32,810 with most people making between $22,060 and $48,420
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 2,000 people in California. It is projected that there will be 2,100 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 10 openings due to growth and about 70 replacement openings for approximately 80 total annual openings.
- Floor Layers, Except Carpet, Wood, and Hard Tiles
- Painters, Construction and Maintenance
- Radio Mechanics
- Electronic Home Entertainment Equipment Installers and Repairers
- Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics
- Recreational Vehicle Service Technicians
- Home Appliance Repairers
- Welders, Cutters, and Welder Fitters
- Printing Press Operators
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers