Lubricate machinery, change parts, or perform other routine machinery maintenance.
- Warp Tension Tester
- Upkeep Worker
- Turbo Generator Oiler
- Tubing Oiler
- Tipple Oiler
- Tipple Greaser
- Texturing Machine Fixer
- Switch Repairer
- Stroboscope Operator
- Stripping Shovel Oiler
- Measure, mix, prepare, and test chemical solutions used to clean or repair machinery and equipment.
- Remove hardened material from machines or machine parts, using abrasives, power and hand tools, jackhammers, sledgehammers, or other equipment.
- Replace or repair metal, wood, leather, glass, or other lining in machines, or in equipment compartments or containers.
- Replace, empty, or replenish machine and equipment containers such as gas tanks or boxes.
- Transport machine parts, tools, equipment, and other material between work areas and storage, using cranes, hoists, or dollies.
- Clean machines and machine parts, using cleaning solvents, cloths, air guns, hoses, vacuums, or other equipment.
- Collect and discard worn machine parts and other refuse to maintain machinery and work areas.
- Lubricate or apply adhesives or other materials to machines, machine parts, or other equipment, according to specified procedures.
- Set up and operate machines, and adjust controls to regulate operations.
- Record production, repair, and machine maintenance information.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2017, the average annual wage in California was $52,130 with most people making between $27,930 and $85,740
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 7,800 people in California. It is projected that there will be 9,200 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 140 openings due to growth and about 120 replacement openings for approximately 260 total annual openings.
- Insulation Workers, Mechanical
- Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Powerhouse, Substation, and Relay
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Farm Equipment Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Motorboat Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics
- Maintenance and Repair Workers, General
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Except Sawing
- Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Transportation Vehicle, Equipment and Systems Inspectors, Except Aviation