Install, dismantle, or move machinery and heavy equipment according to layout plans, blueprints, or other drawings.
- Precision Millwright
- Plant Changer
- Millwright Instructor
- Millwright Apprentice
- Manufacturing Millwright
- Manufacturer's Service Representative
- Maintenance Millwright
- Maintenance Mechanic
- Install robot and modify its program, using teach pendant.
- Operate engine lathe to grind, file, and turn machine parts to dimensional specifications.
- Construct foundation for machines, using hand tools and building materials such as wood, cement, and steel.
- Troubleshoot equipment, electrical components, hydraulics, or other mechanical systems.
- Connect power unit to machines or steam piping to equipment, and test unit to evaluate its mechanical operation.
- Dismantle machinery and equipment for shipment to installation site, usually performing installation and maintenance work as part of team.
- Fabricate and dismantle parts, equipment, and machines, using a cutting torch or other cutting equipment.
- Shrink-fit bushings, sleeves, rings, liners, gears, and wheels to specified items, using portable gas heating equipment.
- Weld, repair, and fabricate equipment or machinery.
- Position steel beams to support bedplates of machines and equipment, using blueprints and schematic drawings, to determine work procedures.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RIC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Investigative and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Installation - Installing equipment, machines, wiring, or programs to meet specifications.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2017, the average annual wage in California was $66,890 with most people making between $37,840 and $96,710
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 2,200 people in California. It is projected that there will be 2,900 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 70 openings due to growth and about 40 replacement openings for approximately 110 total annual openings.
- Insulation Workers, Mechanical
- Elevator Installers and Repairers
- Telecommunications Equipment Installers and Repairers, Except Line Installers
- Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Powerhouse, Substation, and Relay
- Aircraft Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers
- Industrial Machinery Mechanics
- Commercial Divers
- Chemical Plant and System Operators