Directly supervise and coordinate the activities of production and operating workers, such as inspectors, precision workers, machine setters and operators, assemblers, fabricators, and plant and system operators.
- Watch Manufacturing Supervisor
- Wastewater Treatment Supervisor
- Wastewater Treatment Plant Supervisor
- Washing and Screening Plant Supervisor
- Wash House Supervisor
- Warehouse Supervisor
- Warehouse and Receiving Supervisor
- Wall Mirror Department Supervisor
- Veneer Supervisor
- Veneer Department Manager
- Plan and develop new products and production processes.
- Calculate labor and equipment requirements and production specifications, using standard formulas.
- Recommend or execute personnel actions, such as hirings, evaluations, or promotions.
- Recommend or implement measures to motivate employees and to improve production methods, equipment performance, product quality, or efficiency.
- Set up and adjust machines and equipment.
- Confer with management or subordinates to resolve worker problems, complaints, or grievances.
- Determine standards, budgets, production goals, and rates, based on company policies, equipment and labor availability, and workloads.
- Maintain operations data, such as time, production, and cost records, and prepare management reports of production results.
- Requisition materials, supplies, equipment parts, or repair services.
- Read and analyze charts, work orders, production schedules, and other records and reports to determine production requirements and to evaluate current production estimates and outputs.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ERC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Realistic and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $62,370 with most people making between $32,010 and $102,250
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 54,400 people in California. It is projected that there will be 57,000 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 260 openings due to growth and about 860 replacement openings for approximately 1,120 total annual openings.
- Nursery and Greenhouse Managers
- Food Service Managers
- Forest Fire Fighting and Prevention Supervisors
- First-Line Supervisors of Housekeeping and Janitorial Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
- Aircraft Cargo Handling Supervisors
- First-Line Supervisors of Helpers, Laborers, and Material Movers, Hand
- First-Line Supervisors of Transportation and Material-Moving Machine and Vehicle Operators
- Mates- Ship, Boat, and Barge