Cut, trim, or prepare consumer-sized portions of meat for use or sale in retail establishments.
- Negotiate with representatives from supply companies to determine order details.
- Cure, smoke, tenderize and preserve meat.
- Supervise other butchers or meat cutters.
- Record quantity of meat received and issued to cooks or keep records of meat sales.
- Total sales, and collect money from customers.
- Shape, lace, and tie roasts, using boning knife, skewer, and twine.
- Estimate requirements and order or requisition meat supplies to maintain inventories.
- Receive, inspect, and store meat upon delivery, to ensure meat quality.
- Prepare special cuts of meat ordered by customers.
- Cut, trim, bone, tie, and grind meats, such as beef, pork, poultry, and fish, to prepare meat in cooking form.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in California was $32,410 with most people making between $21,850 and $48,030
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 20,500 people in California. It is projected that there will be 23,300 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 280 openings due to growth and about 410 replacement openings for approximately 690 total annual openings.
- Cooks, Short Order
- Landscaping and Groundskeeping Workers
- Meter Readers, Utilities
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Laundry and Dry-Cleaning Workers
- Shoe and Leather Workers and Repairers
- Textile Bleaching and Dyeing Machine Operators and Tenders
- Textile Winding, Twisting, and Drawing Out Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Photographic Process Workers and Processing Machine Operators