Operate or tend food or tobacco roasting, baking, or drying equipment, including hearth ovens, kiln driers, roasters, char kilns, and vacuum drying equipment.
- Wine Pasteurizer
- Wafer Machine Operator
- Vacuum Drier Operator
- Tobacco Drier Operator
- Tobacco Curer
- Sugar Drier
- Steam Oven Operator
- Smokehouse Worker
- Smokehouse Operator
- Dump sugar dust from collectors into melting tanks and add water to reclaim sugar lost during processing.
- Push racks or carts to transfer products to storage, cooling stations, or the next stage of processing.
- Install equipment, such as spray units, cutting blades, or screens, using hand tools.
- Smooth out products in bins, pans, trays, or conveyors, using rakes or shovels.
- Clean equipment with steam, hot water, and hoses.
- Open valves, gates, or chutes or use shovels to load or remove products from ovens or other equipment.
- Start conveyors to move roasted grain to cooling pans and agitate grain with rakes as blowers force air through perforated bottoms of pans.
- Clear or dislodge blockages in bins, screens, or other equipment, using poles, brushes, or mallets.
- Test products for moisture content, using moisture meters.
- Take product samples during or after processing for laboratory analyses.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $31,230 with most people making between $20,820 and $47,930
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 2,600 people in California. It is projected that there will be 2,800 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 20 openings due to growth and about 50 replacement openings for approximately 70 total annual openings.
- Meat, Poultry, and Fish Cutters and Trimmers
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Milling and Planing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Pourers and Casters, Metal
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Solderers and Brazers
- Textile Bleaching and Dyeing Machine Operators and Tenders
- Textile Winding, Twisting, and Drawing Out Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Extruding and Forming Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Synthetic and Glass Fibers
- Cutters and Trimmers, Hand