Operate computer-controlled machines or robots to perform one or more machine functions on metal or plastic work pieces.
- Welding Robot Operator
- Shot Peening Operator
- Robotic Machine Operator
- Printed Circuit Boards Numerical Control Drill Operator
- Plastic CNC Machine Operator
- Numerical Control Router Set-Up Operator
- Numerical Control Router Operator
- Numerical Control Milling Machine Set-Up Operator
- Numerical Control Milling Machine Operator
- Numerical Control Machine Tool Operator
- Examine electronic components for defects or completeness of laser-beam trimming, using microscopes.
- Lay out and mark areas of parts to be shot-peened and fill hoppers with shot.
- Write simple programs for computer-controlled machine tools.
- Input initial part dimensions into machine control panels.
- Clean machines, tooling, or parts, using solvents or solutions and rags.
- Set up future jobs while machines are operating.
- Implement changes to machine programs and enter new specifications, using computers.
- Confer with supervisors or programmers to resolve machine malfunctions or production errors or to obtain approval to continue production.
- Maintain machines and remove and replace broken or worn machine tools, using hand tools.
- Control coolant systems.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $39,260 with most people making between $23,220 and $60,080
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 10,400 people in California. It is projected that there will be 13,100 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 270 openings due to growth and about 320 replacement openings for approximately 590 total annual openings.
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Mine Cutting and Channeling Machine Operators
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Aircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, and Systems Assemblers
- Rolling Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Excavating and Loading Machine and Dragline Operators
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators