Draw and construct sets of precision master fabric patterns or layouts. May also mark and cut fabrics and apparel.
- Trace outlines of specified patterns onto material, and cut fabric using scissors.
- Trace outlines of paper onto cardboard patterns, and cut patterns into parts to make templates.
- Create design specifications to provide instructions on garment sewing and assembly.
- Determine the best layout of pattern pieces to minimize waste of material, and mark fabric accordingly.
- Examine sketches, sample articles, and design specifications to determine quantities, shapes, and sizes of pattern parts, and to determine the amount of material or fabric required to make a product.
- Discuss design specifications with designers, and convert their original models of garments into patterns of separate parts that can be laid out on a length of fabric.
- Create a paper pattern from which to mass-produce a design concept.
- Position and cut out master or sample patterns, using scissors and knives, or print out copies of patterns, using computers.
- Test patterns by making and fitting sample garments.
- Draw outlines of pattern parts by adapting or copying existing patterns, or by drafting new patterns.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RAC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Artistic and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $54,490 with most people making between $23,460 and $96,390
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,700 people in California. It is projected that there will be 1,500 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 20 replacement openings for approximately 20 total annual openings.
- Audio and Video Equipment Technicians
- Camera Operators, Television, Video, and Motion Picture
- Cooks, Restaurant
- Electronic Home Entertainment Equipment Installers and Repairers
- Layout Workers, Metal and Plastic
- Tailors, Dressmakers, and Custom Sewers
- Model Makers, Wood
- Photographic Process Workers and Processing Machine Operators
- Etchers and Engravers
- Potters, Manufacturing