Set up, operate, or tend machines that cut or slice materials, such as glass, stone, cork, rubber, tobacco, food, paper, or insulating material.
- Press Cutter
- Power Shear Operator
- Powder Cutting Operator
- Potato Peeler
- Pole-Peeling Machine Operator
- Ply Cutter
- Plug Cutting Machine Operator
- Plug Cutter
- Platen Press Operator
- Wash stones, using water hoses.
- Cut stock manually to prepare for machine cutting, using tools such as knives, cleavers, handsaws, or hammers and chisels.
- Tighten pulleys or add abrasives to maintain cutting speeds.
- Turn cranks or press buttons to activate winches that move cars under sawing cables or saw frames.
- Sharpen cutting blades, knives, or saws, using files, bench grinders, or honing stones.
- Direct workers on cutting teams.
- Position width gauge blocks between blades, and level blades and insert wedges into frames to secure blades to frames.
- Change or replace saw blades, cables, cutter heads, and grinding wheels, using hand tools.
- Type instructions on computer keyboards, push buttons to activate computer programs, or manually set cutting guides, clamps, and knives.
- Start pumps to circulate water and abrasives onto blades or cables during cutting.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $33,190 with most people making between $21,210 and $49,110
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 5,600 people in California. It is projected that there will be 5,700 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 10 openings due to growth and about 110 replacement openings for approximately 120 total annual openings.
- Pesticide Handlers, Sprayers, and Applicators, Vegetation
- Paving, Surfacing, and Tamping Equipment Operators
- Mine Cutting and Channeling Machine Operators
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Aircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, and Systems Assemblers
- Computer-Controlled Machine Tool Operators, Metal and Plastic
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Printing Press Operators
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators