Set up, operate, or tend machines, such as glass forming machines, plodder machines, and tuber machines, to shape and form products, such as glassware, food, rubber, soap, brick, tile, clay, wax, tobacco, or cosmetics.
- Yardage Control Operator, Forming
- Yardage Control Operator
- Wood Fuel Pelletizer
- Wink Cutter Operator
- Wind Up Operator
- Wet Press Tender
- Wet Machine Tender
- Wet Machine Operator
- Wax Molder
- Wad Compressor Operator-Adjuster
- Install, align, and adjust neck rings, press plungers, and feeder tubes.
- Ignite burners to preheat products, or use torches to apply heat.
- Swab molds with solutions to prevent products from sticking.
- Remove molds, mold components, and feeder tubes from machinery after production is complete.
- Disassemble equipment to repair it or to replace parts, such as nozzles, punches, and filters.
- Complete work tickets, and place them with products.
- Thread extruded strips through water tanks and hold-down bars, or attach strands to wires and draw them through tubes.
- Measure arbors and dies to verify sizes specified on work tickets.
- Feed products into machines by hand or conveyor.
- Remove materials or products from molds or from extruding, forming, pressing, or compacting machines, and stack or store them for additional processing.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $33,200 with most people making between $21,320 and $51,810
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 4,500 people in California. It is projected that there will be 4,200 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 160 replacement openings for approximately 160 total annual openings.
- Logging Equipment Operators
- Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Extruding and Forming Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Synthetic and Glass Fibers
- Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Wood
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Except Sawing
- Separating, Filtering, Clarifying, Precipitating, and Still Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders