Operate or tend bonding machines that use adhesives to join items for further processing or to form a completed product. Processes include joining veneer sheets into plywood; gluing paper; or joining rubber and rubberized fabric parts, plastic, simulated leather, or other materials.
- Wrapping Machine Operator
- Wood Gluer
- Veneer Glue Spreader
- V-Belt Builder
- Utility Worker
- Taper Operator
- Tape Making Machine Operator
- Tape Maker
- Stripping Machine Operator
- Depress pedals to lower electrodes that heat and seal edges of material.
- Measure and mix ingredients to prepare glue.
- Clean and maintain gluing and cementing machines, using solutions, lubricants, brushes, and scrapers.
- Transport materials, supplies, and finished products between storage and work areas, using forklifts.
- Mount or load material such as paper, plastic, wood, or rubber in feeding mechanisms of cementing or gluing machines.
- Remove jammed materials from machines and readjust components as necessary to resume normal operations.
- Maintain production records such as quantities, dimensions, and thicknesses of materials processed.
- Observe gauges, meters, and control panels to obtain information about equipment temperatures and pressures, or the speed of feeders or conveyors.
- Remove and stack completed materials or products, and restock materials to be joined.
- Read work orders and communicate with coworkers to determine machine and equipment settings and adjustments and supply and product specifications.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Achievement in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in California was $35,120 with most people making between $23,450 and $49,710
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,700 people in California. It is projected that there will be 1,600 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 40 replacement openings for approximately 40 total annual openings.
- Tree Trimmers and Pruners
- Helpers--Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons, and Tile and Marble Setters
- Highway Maintenance Workers
- Mine Cutting and Channeling Machine Operators
- Roof Bolters, Mining
- Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Railroad Brake, Signal, and Switch Operators
- Machine Feeders and Offbearers
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators