Operate or tend machines to wash or clean products, such as barrels or kegs, glass items, tin plate, food, pulp, coal, plastic, or rubber, to remove impurities.
- Yeast Washer
- Wool Washer
- Wheat Washer
- Wheat Cleaner
- Washroom Operator
- Washing Machine Operator
- Washhouse Worker
- Washhouse Hand
- Washer Engineer
- Load machines with objects to be processed and unload them after cleaning, placing them on conveyors or racks.
- Adjust, clean, and lubricate mechanical parts of machines, using hand tools and grease guns.
- Draw samples for laboratory analysis, or test solutions for conformance to specifications, such as acidity or specific gravity.
- Measure, weigh, or mix cleaning solutions, using measuring tanks, calibrated rods or suction tubes.
- Examine and inspect machines to detect malfunctions.
- Record gauge readings, materials used, processing times, or test results in production logs.
- Operate or tend machines to wash and remove impurities from items such as barrels or kegs, glass products, tin plate surfaces, dried fruit, pulp, animal stock, coal, manufactured articles, plastic, or rubber.
- Drain, clean, and refill machines or tanks at designated intervals, using cleaning solutions or water.
- Set controls to regulate temperature and length of cycles, and start conveyors, pumps, agitators, and machines.
- Observe machine operations, gauges, or thermometers, and adjust controls to maintain specified conditions.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $30,780 with most people making between $20,820 and $47,240
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 3,500 people in California. It is projected that there will be 3,900 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 40 openings due to growth and about 90 replacement openings for approximately 130 total annual openings.
- Carpet Installers
- Construction Laborers
- Helpers--Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons, and Tile and Marble Setters
- Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Shoe Machine Operators and Tenders
- Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders
- Machine Feeders and Offbearers