Directly supervise and coordinate the activities of helpers, laborers, or material movers.
- Yard Supervisor
- Yard Foreman
- Trash Collector Supervisor
- Terminal Operations Manager
- Tank Cleaning Supervisor
- Stevedoring Supervisor
- Stevedoring Superintendent
- Shipping Supervisor
- Shipping Manager
- Section Supervisor
- Provide assistance in balancing books, tracking, monitoring, or projecting a unit's budget needs and in developing unit policies and procedures.
- Quote prices to customers.
- Schedule times of shipment and modes of transportation for materials.
- Counsel employees in work-related activities, personal growth, or career development.
- Inventory supplies and requisition or purchase additional items, as necessary.
- Perform the same work duties as those supervised or perform more difficult or skilled tasks or assist in their performance.
- Inspect job sites to determine the extent of maintenance or repairs needed.
- Participate in the hiring process by reviewing credentials, conducting interviews, or making hiring decisions or recommendations.
- Recommend or initiate personnel actions, such as promotions, transfers, or disciplinary measures.
- Resolve personnel problems, complaints, or formal grievances when possible, or refer them to higher-level supervisors for resolution.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in California was $50,800 with most people making between $30,300 and $77,240
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 21,900 people in California. It is projected that there will be 25,000 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 310 openings due to growth and about 700 replacement openings for approximately 1,010 total annual openings.
- Nursery and Greenhouse Managers
- Lodging Managers
- Buyers and Purchasing Agents, Farm Products
- First-Line Supervisors of Correctional Officers
- First-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Aquacultural Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Construction Trades and Extraction Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Production and Operating Workers