Roofers apply a variety of materials including hot and cold build-up roofing and/or waterproofing, asphalt, shingles, tile and single ply roofing materials including EPDM, PVC, Hypalon and modified modified bitumen.
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.
The roofing program is jointly sponsored by employers and the roofers union. As a union roofer you can expect to earn a comfortable living and receive excellent medical, dental, and optical coverage as well as generous vacation and pension benefits.
- An applicant for roofing/ waterproofing apprenticeship program must be at least eighteen (18) years of age. There is no maximum age.
- An applicant must be in good health and physically able to perform all phases of the work.
- There are no specific educational requirements to enter the roofers/waterproofers apprenticeship program, however, applicants must be able to read and speak English within the first twelve months of training in order to comprehend instructions given on the job and in related training classes to insure personal and co-worker safety on the job.
- There is no written examination for this apprenticeship program, but all applicants are required to participate in an orientation class on safety.
- Applicants must be prepared to work at extreme heights and on sloping surfaces.
- Applicants must be prepared to lift heavy heavy materials and equipment in all types of weather.
- Applicants must be prepared to purchase tools and equipment at an estimated cost of $150.
Most of the roofing apprenticeship programs in California are 42 months in length. The apprentice must work 600 or more hours on-the-job in each of seven (7) periods of training with one or more employers. Apprentices must also attend related training classes at a training center.