Steamfitters (Pipefitters) are employed for the installation of piping on new construction and existing plant maintenance or modernization projects in all types of industrial plants, office/commercial buildings, hospitals, research facilities and other projects. Steamfitters install piping of all sizes and in a variety of materials including carbon steel, copper, cast iron, plastic, fiberglass, stainless steel and other special alloys and types.
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.
As an employee and union member you will be afforded excellent medical, dental and optical coverage as well as pension and supplemental pension plan benefits.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must possess high school diploma or GED.
- Must be physically able to perform the work of the trade.
- Must be able to read, write and speak the English language in order to comprehend instructions on the job and in related training classes and to ensure personal and co-worker safety on the job.
- Must be prepared to attend related training classes (school) during school terms.
- Must present valid California Drivers License (for identification).
- Should be able to present verification to potential employers of legal right to work in the United States.
Typically the apprenticeship program lasts for five (5) years. Apprentices must work a total of 9000 hours in five (5) years to reach journeyman status. Apprentices are required to attend related instruction classes 216 hours per year. Apprentice wages start at a percentage of the journeymen's hourly rate of pay with periodic increases until he/she reaches the full journeyman rate.